Sunday, April 27, 2014

Does This Leak Make Me Look Fat - Part V: Surgery

The Leak

The Bike was right!  Skipper is trying to save me! He told me that the professional Boat Doctor told him that Skipper couldn't find the leak because there were so many of them and they couldn't be isolated.

That's a death sentence for a boat, but Skipper wouldn't accept that. He said that we'd been together for almost 40 years and he wasn't going to let me slip away without a fight. Skipper bought himself a book on Sunfish Doctory and learned how to fix leaks that couldn't be found.

I had the surgery last week.  He started by taking of my rub rail. That tickled, except when the drill slipped and it nicked my gelcoat. Then he inspected the whole joint where my deck meets my hull.  And guess what? He found the leaks! One huge one and two little ones, plus a couple of cavities that just needed filling.

In the Recovery Room
All of my leaks are fixed. I'm resting comfortably and should be on the back water next week.  I'm dry inside and I'm feeling weak, but pretty good.  The best part was that it rained really hard for a couple of days, and I didn't get any water inside me at all! Skipper says that he's going to do some cosmetic work and give me a good polishing as soon as I'm strong enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment