Sunday, May 18, 2014

An Unexpected Enemy

She's coming for me
While I was recovering from my surgery, I overheard something.  Something that I thought I'd never hear, coming from someone I never thought would say it. Someone who I thought was a friend.

What I overheard was Mrs Skipper telling Skipper that it was a waste of time working on a junker boat, and that he should get rid of it.  For a while I was cheering her on, thinking that she was talking about the Harlot. She was, but then I found out she was talking about ME TOO! She was trying to convince Skipper to sell both of us and buy a new Sunfish!

Skipper can't get rid of me! I've been with him longer than she has! He knows me inside and out! Literally! He knows when I am about to capsize. He knows when I'm leaking and getting bloated. I know how he sails and all of his habits. I know when he's going to tack before he does! He just cured me of terminal leakiness! He can't get rid of me!

Skipper has to keep me! and to keep me, that means he has to keep the Harlot too, because if he gets rid of one of us, the other is vulnerable. Skipper to keep us. Both of us. Together we're stronger. I've got to get  message to the Harlot! We boats have got to stick together!

1 comment:

  1. Your Mrs Skipper sounds like my Mrs Skipper. She keeps encouraging my Skipper to get rid of me and buy a new Laser. What are we going to do?

    ReplyDelete